lead or cadmium in original karmann ghia paint??

[ Karmann-Ghia Forum ]

Geschrieben von jpankow am 10. Januar 2007 09:00:28:

Hi:
I found your forum from a google search.

I am considering purchasing a 1970 or 1971 VW Karmann Ghia with ORIGINAL Ivory white color (I think the code is L80(E11) and understand that Glasurit was possibly providing the paint to the Karmann Coach factory in Onsabruck Germany. (Although someone told me PPG might have been the provider which I think is less likely) I would like to know if lead pigments or cadmium pigments were used in the paint for this car. www.thesamba.com mentions that Glasurit 1051 WeiB was used for this color but I am unsure if this is true - this is only possibly a clue for you.

Although I don't intend on sanding the car, I'm concerned about lead dust from the chalky appearance these old paints seem to develop with time - unless you think keeping it waxed would help seal it in. The car would be in an attached garage to my house and I have a young child - therefore this is the basis for my concern with lead. I don't want lead dust on my child's hands or tracked into the house.

Any input or other contacts I should write to would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to obtain any useful information from Glasurit directly.

Thanks

J Pankow
Colorado

Antworten:

[ Karmann-Ghia Forum ]